I’m pretty sure that this apple crumble pie doesn’t fully support the saying “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”. Instead, it may roll-call the dentists in your area to come a-running.
I hate the dentist.
But I would risk it for this pie 🙂
Apple Crumble Pie (adapted from this recipe)
- 1 pie crust (deep dish)
- 5 cups apples (feel free to mix apple types, or apples and pears – I used granny smith, braeburn, and pears) peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 C white sugar
- 3/4 t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 C flour
- 1/3 C white sugar
- 3/4 C flour
- 8 T butter (make sure this is cold)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (375 convection).
2. Mix together apple slices with cinnamon, 1/2 C white sugar, and 1/2 C flour in a large bowl.
3. put pie crust into deep dish pie pan and put down 2 T of butter onto the shell. Pour in apple mixture.
4. Mix together 1/3 C white sugar, 3/4C flour and 6 T of butter to make crumble mixture. TIP: butter must be cold in order to make the crumbles. Cut in the butter until it is crumbly. Pour crumbles over apple mixture in pie shell.
5. Bake in oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until apples are soft and top is lightly browned.
Makes a super easy and delicious holiday dessert or Monday treat. I had lots of compliments this thanksgiving. ENJOY!