Sunday was a Football Sunday.
I [unfortunately/unbelieveably/sadly] had to work on Monday, so I wasn’t as carefree as the rest of the crowd, but I still let myself indulge in a delicious gametime brew, tostitos with salsa, and mmmmmeatballs!
I think I’ve mentioned before how much D and I ❤ going to The Meatball Shop in Manhattan. It’s truly my favorite meal in the city. And that’s saying alot.
The Meatball Shop actually sells a cookbook with their amazing recipes in it too! We don’t have it 😦 but we searched the internet far and wide (otherwise known as “googled”) for The Meatball Shops original recipe to bring to the football game festivities. Turns out Rachel Ray made a version of it on her website so we took it and ran. Pretty pretty please please, with marinara sauce on top, make these. It doesn’t need to be for football.
The Meatball Shop’s Original Meatballs (adapted from this recipe)
For the meatballs:
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 lbs 80% lean ground beef (we actually used a combination of freshly ground veal, lamb, and beef)
- 1 C ricotta cheese (I used FF)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 C breadcrumbs
- 1/2 C fresh chopped parsley
- 1 T fresh oregano or 1 t dried oregano
- 2 t salt
- 1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 t ground fennel
- 4 C Classic Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 t fresh oregano or 1/2 t dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves freshly chopped
- 2 t salt
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 26 oz cans of whole plum tomatoes (chopped with their liquid)